How to Lighten Your Hair Naturally
How to Lighten Your Hair Naturally
How to lighten your hair naturally?Natural hair lightening can be a time consuming and tedious process, but if you want to achieve a look that is several shades lighter, untreated hair with various chemical preparations, you can also reach out for some natural methods, which will make your hair a couple of shades brighter.
When lightening hair you should always be cautious as getting a lighter color shade will be easier if you have golden or yellowish hair pigment, while for darker or red pigmented shades you could achieve unwanted (or any) effects.
Many things that you already have in your household can be used as a replacement for expensive commercial preparations and for this purpose lemon, chamomile and combination of honey and cinnamon, just to name few are commonly used.
How to Lighten Your Hair Naturally
Rinsing your hair with lemon juice is the most famous natural way to lighten your hair. If you choose this method you will need a fresh lemon (or two if you have longer hair), a bottle with a small pump, a strainer or gauze and lots of sunshine.
- Squeeze lemon juice and then mix it with half a cup of warm water (ratio 1: 1 or less in favor of lemon). Pour the mixture into the small pump bottle and use it to equally apply the lemon mixture to your hair. If you choose to lighten your hair with this method, the main key here is the impact of the sun, so get out and let your hair dry gently in the sun.
- When completely dry, rinse your hair with nothing but water. If you think your hair looks damaged and dry you can use chamomile tea allowing your hair to achieve more effective results.
- Lemon can be beneficial for your hair, but if you use it too often, it can cause dryness and damage to the hair, which is why it will be dry, brittle and lifeless. It is therefore important that you don’t do this more than once or twice a week. Also, next time when washing your hair feed your hair with masks or peelings in order to maintain a healthy and groomed appearance.
The other way to naturally lighten your hair is to apply a strong chamomile tea with soothing properties. Chamomile is excellent for sensitive blonde hair and thanks to the natural properties the hair will have an intense glow. In addition, chamomile flowers contain apigenin – flavonoid yellow color which further lightens the hair. Chamomile hair care products are suitable for every type of hair and for daily care.
- Take 2-3 cups of chamomile flowers and pour 500 milliliters of boiling water over them. Slowly cook for 15 minutes. Allow the tea to cool down for half an hour and then strain it and add the juice of one lemon and two tablespoons of conditioner to the mixture. Apply this mixture to your hair and let it stand for half an hour and then rinse. If you can not get chamomile flowers, you can use ordinary tea, but only those that are twice stronger than the one you normally prepare and drink.
Lightening hair with honey gives truly outstanding results. If you choose this method you will need two tablespoons of honey and half a cup of warm distilled water. It is recommended that you use only dark forest honey, however good results are also shown by the meadow honey so choose between those two. In this solution, you can add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil and two teaspoons of cinnamon, whose purpose is to encourage the production of hydrogen peroxide in order to successfully lighten your hair.
- Leave the mixture set for about an hour to create peroxide and then apply it on your hair and hold it like that for an hour. It is important to note that throughout the treatment the hair has to be wet, so you will need a swimming cap, a shower cap or aluminum foil for protection. After an hour, wash your hair with shampoo. Use one that nourishes your hair so that you don’t have to fear from your hair drying out. The hair will be silky and smooth, and after several treatments you can expect and notice lighter tones and shades of your hair.
From dark brown hair to light brown (blonde) hair
You can also use honey if you have reddish pigment and dark brown hair. You will be amazed by the result which is soft hair that is two to three shades lighter with a slight reddish glow (strawberry blonde is popular color name for this shade). With lightening, the mixture below will emphasize the hidden shades of your hair and it can be applied on hair treated with conventional hair dyes.
The ratio of honey and distilled water is 1 to 4, and the lowest amount of honey is 10 grams. According to how long your hair is, evaluate the amount of honey you’ll need for this mixture. You can also add a teaspoon of cinnamon and cardamom powder and a spoon of olive oil. Let it all sit for at least an hour at room temperature.
The thing is that during contact with the distilled water, honey releases natural hydroxide, and cinnamon, cardamom and olive oil enhance the effect of the compound. After it sits in a refrigerator for a while apply the mixture on clean hair. It’s recommended that you put on a plastic shower cap, an old towel or a aluminum foil.
While some suggest that it is not good to keep it overnight, some women held it for about two hours and got a lighter shade of hair. After you’re done just normally wash your hair with your regular shampoo and conditioner (although you don’t have to use conditioner). After each treatment your hair will be lighter. Isn’t that a wonderful alternative to laboratory preparations? However, if you want to achieve much lighter (almost blonde) hair you’ll have repeat everything and do several treatments. There’s no worry that this will have negative effects on your hair, like conventional, laboratory-made dyes.
Cinnamon is often used in the household as a condiment, and more recently as an excellent preparation for the hair. Proper application can achieve excellent results in lightening the hair, where you hair will remain moisturized and soft. The combination of honey and cinnamon are the perfect combination, most will say, but considering that there are several methods of preparing the mixture, we give an alternative to the previous method (the one prepared with honey above).
- In a medium size bowl put 250 milliliters of conditioner, three tablespoons of previously crumbled cinnamon and 100 milliliters of natural bee honey. Mix together the ingredients with a plastic spoon. Do not use metal, as some metals may adversely react with the constituents of the mixture. Cover the pan and leave it for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Wash your hair with classic shampoo and conditioner, and then uniformly apply the mixture on the hair. As with the previous method, it is important that the hair is wet, so after applying the mixture cover your head with a warm towel, swimming cap or aluminum foil. After half an hour you can unwind hair, but leave the mixture on for another 3 to 4 hours to set. The longer you hold the mixture on your head, the better the results will be. To complete these process just rinse your hair with warm water.
- Avoid skin exposure to the mixture, as cinnamon can irritate sensitive skin.
Some women swear that they managed to get a couple of shades lighter hair just by using olive oil. Apply olive oil to your hair, comb it and sit on the sun a half an hour to an hour. Olive oil is an excellent hair conditioner, and can naturally lighten hair.
You can even make a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil and put it in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle (to mix the ingredients) when ready to use and spray into wet hair. Apply more mixture throughout the length of the hair instead of on roots.
Rhubarb plant and its roots can lighten medium light brown hair and dark blonde hair. Cook plants and roots in water in a bowl and then rinse your hair with the liquid once it’s cooled.
Beer is a popular drink with which almost everyone loves to socialize. In addition to the special taste light beer helps lighten hair. By using beer you can get two to three shades lighter hair. Apply beer on your hair and relax for a while inthe sun. After an hour rinse your hair with cool water.
If you want to clean your hair from the chemicals that are deposited on it for years you have to use baking soda. Baking soda is known as a natural hair lighter. Application of baking soda to your hair will take a little longer than other means, but if make time for this treatment once a week your hair will be the saved from harmful chemicals and the way it naturally lighten.
Classic henna or just “henna” (Lawsonia inermis) is the plant growing in the area of Africa and Asia. Henna gives reddish hues, completely covers greys and adds volume and shine to your hair. The power of henna is in the healing of bad hair and restoring alkaline balance of vertex. Henna does not harm the hair, but it optimally nourishes and protects its structure. It is an excellent conditioner, because it forms a protective layer on the hair. This prevents further damage, but also moisturizes, reinforces and strengthens the hair. As we mentioned, it gives reddish hues and shades, but mixed with indigo colored powder you can naturally get dark brown color or even black color, but when mixed with colorless henna (Cassia obovata) you can get light-brown or even blonde hair by using this the natural way.
If you have sensitive hair and want to use only natural and non-invasive ingredients for lightening hair do not forget the salt. Mix salt with water into a smooth paste and apply it on your hair. Just remember how salt affects the hair color during summer when you spend most of the time in the sea. 1 scoop of salt mix with the same 5 measures of water and mix it all together, apply on hair and let it to act for about 15 minutes.
11.Vinegar in combination with honey and olive oil
Vinegar in combination with honey is excellent combo if you want to lighten your hair, while olive oil protects it from drying. You will need: 2 cups of vinegar, 1 cup of honey, a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Stir it all together in a compact mixture and use a comb or a brush to apply it to your hair. If you want the effect of summery lightened hair this mixture is ideal for you.
During preparation it’s important that your hair is clean and shampooed. After washing your hair gently dry it as it should be moist/wet. It is essential that after shampooing your hair you do not put conditioner on the hair because it can wrap your hair with a silicone layer. If you have dry hair, you can use a natural conditioner without silicone oil. But then note that you should put only a small amount of conditioner and rinse it well, because the vegetable glycerin can cause a similar effect as synthetic silicone oils. Silicone oil in the ingredients of hair products is easily recognized you just need to read the label and if there’s: Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, or Phenyl TRIMETHICONE, avoid it.
Natural colors are great, but the only drawback to them is that these natural ways of lightening the hair can quickly wash out, but it is totally up to you to consider whether health or esthetic is more important to you.
SOURCE: Natural Remedy Ideas